- ½ medium sized yam, peeled
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 5ml chopped fresh thyme
- 1 fresh green chilli, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5ml chopped garlic
- salt and pepper to season
- oil for deep frying
- Cut the yam into cubes and boil in salted water for 30mins, until soft.
- Remove from heat, drain water and mash.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, chilli, garlic, thyme and egg.
- Season mixture with salt and mix through. Heat the oil.
- Using a teaspoon, shape the yam mixture into balls and deep-fry until golden brown.
- Serve with a dipping sauce.