This stonefruit-studded dessert is ideal in summer. When soaked in white wine, lemon zest and thyme, the peaches develop a beautiful depth of flavour, cleverly complementing the lightness and simplicity of mascarpone cream.
SKILL LEVEL: EASY
- 4 white or yellow peaches
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2–3 sprigs lemon thyme, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 400 ml white wine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or the seeds scraped from ½ vanilla bean
- pinch of salt flakes
- 2–3 tbsp flaked almonds
- Macerating time up to 2 hours
- Chilling time 30 minutes
- Cut the peaches into quarters and place them in a large bowl with the lemon zest and thyme. Pour in the wine and leave to macerate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons sugar for 2–3 minutes or until pale and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved. Add the mascarpone and vanilla and mix through with a wooden spoon until light and creamy. Whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then add the remaining sugar and beat until glossy. Gently fold into the mascarpone cream until combined. Cover with plastic film and rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Just before you are ready to serve, toast the almonds in a dry frying pan for 1–2 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Set aside in a bowl to cool.
- Dollop 1–2 tablespoons of the mascarpone cream into each dessert bowl or martini glass, top with the peach wedges and a drizzle of the macerating liquid, and crown with toasted almonds and a few extra thyme leaves.
- You can make the mascarpone cream the day before, if you like. Cover it well with plastic film and store in the fridge until needed.
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.