- 150g brown or green lentils
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g haloumi cheese, cut into strips
- 200g (1 punnet) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Rinse the lentils, drain and cook in plenty of salted boiling water until just tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the onion, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and sugar and season. Mix well and pour over the warm lentils.
- Fry the haloumi in a non-stick pan till just browning on the edges. Combine the lentils, tomatoes, haloumi and coriander and serve.