- 3 tablespoons (30ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cups (60ml) warm water
- 1 ½ cups (360ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) dried yeast
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups (600ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) walnut oil
- 2 cups (480ml) walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- Extra walnut oil, for greasing
- Extra buttermilk, for milk wash
- Toast chopped walnuts in the oven.
- In a little bowl, add water, maple syrup, and yeast. Stir. Set aside to proof for 10 minutes.
- Add whole wheat flour, white flour, and salt to bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour.
- Add walnut oil and buttermilk to yeast bowl and mix together.
- Pour liquids into well of flour and mix well.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean counter or work surface.
- Turn dough out onto counter and knead until it’s elastic-y.
- Pour walnut oil into bowl and wipe around sides to coat. Put kneaded bread in bowl, cover with a tea towel, and
- set aside to rise.
- Once doubled in size, punch the dough in the centre to remove air bubbles. Turn dough onto counter and knead, incorporating toasted walnuts.
- Cut dough into quarters and fit into small loaf pans.
- Cover with tea towel and set aside to rise.
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Brush with buttermilk and score with knife. Bake in oven 20-30 minutes until golden.