Total Time: 35 min
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 15 min
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 1 Thai chile, seeded and minced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
- Freshly grated black pepper
- 7 to 8 ounces white cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded, julienned, or grated
- 7 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded, or cut into fine strips
- 1 bunch mint, plus extra for garnish, leaves roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, stirring with spoon, combine the chile, garlic, sugar, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, oil, onion, and black pepper, set aside for 1/2 hour.
- In a large bowl combine cabbage, carrot, chicken breast, and mint, tossing with tongs.
- Pour cabbage mixture over the dressing, tossing with tongs, slowly and patiently so everything is coated. Add salt, to taste.
- Serve on a flat plate with mint for garnish.