Here we one of Kevin’s favourite desserts – great for entertaining. An easy way to remember the proportions in the recipe is to weigh the egg and add the same weight of butter, sugar and flour.
- 300g (2 1⁄2 sticks plus 1 tbsp) butter, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (2 1⁄3 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300g (11⁄2 cups) caster (superfine) sugar
- 5 large (US extra large) eggs 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the filling and topping
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 120ml (1⁄2 cup) whipped cream
- 300g (11oz) strawberries, sliced
- Icing (confectioners’) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease two 20cm (8 inch) cake tins and line the bottoms with nonstick baking (parchment) paper.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix together.
- In a large separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, then fold in the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared tins.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn out the sponges on to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To sandwich the cake together, peel off the lining papers and spread half the jam on each sponge. Cover the jam on one sponge with the whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Place the second sponge on top, jam-side down. Dust with icing sugar.