Nothing beats the taste of lobster cooked in seawater. Learn how to make your own Seawater Lobster , and how that lobster can quickly become a sumptuous Lobster Corn Chowder . See how a Vegetarian Chilli  becomes a Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potato , and you’
Yield :6 Servings
- For the Flavour Base:
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- For the Chili:
- 1-28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1-5.5 ounce can of tomato paste
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of barley
- 1-19 ounce can of kidney, red or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of frozen corn
- 2 cups of frozen edamame
- fresh cilantro sprigs
- Splash the oil into your favourite heavy soup pot preheating over medium-high heat. Toss in the onions, garlic and carrots and sauté, stirring frequently, until the aromatic vegetables heat through, brighten and lightly colour, 5 minutes or so. Stir in the chilli powder, cumin, and oregano. Continue cooking and stirring as the spices heat through, lose their staleness and become fragrant, just a minute or two. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and barley, taking a moment to break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add the beans, chipotle pepper and salt. Bring the works to a boil, then adjust the heat to a bare simmer. Cover then cook until the barley tenderizes, the chilli thickens and all the flavours blend, 25 minutes or so. Stir in the corn and edamame and continue cooking just long enough to heat them through.
- Ladle into serving bowls top each serving with fresh cilantro sprigs and if you like Cilantro Sour Cream and Crispy Tortilla Strips. You may even continue cooking and fashion this chilli into Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potato baked on top!
Serve and share!