Vegetable Cassoulet with Herbes de Provence
Herbes de Provence mix
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) thyme
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) rosemary
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) savory
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) lavender
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) tarragon
- ½ tablespoon (8ml) marjoram
- ½ tablespoon (8ml) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) bay leaf powder
1. Put all ingredients in a small bowl and mix together. Store in an airtight container.
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 leeks, trimmed and dark top removed, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and chopped
- 1 parsnip, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Herbes de Provence
- 3 cups flageolet beans, cooked
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon (3ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (3ml) fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups (480ml) chunky bread crumbs, from stale bread
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Grana Padano, grated
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Pour olive oil into a large pot and heat. Add onion, the 4 cloves of chopped garlic, leek, celery, parsnip, and carrot and cook a few minutes.
- Sprinkle over Herbes de Provence and cook until vegetables starting to soften and brown.
- Pour in cooked beans.
- Pour stock into pot.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place bread crumbs into a bowl. Drizzle olive oil over top and sprinkle in the 1 clove of minced garlic. Add parsley and grated Grana Padano. Mix well.
- Lay out bread crumb mixture onto a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden, stirring once.
- Scoop some bean mixture into a bowl, and top with toasted bread crumb mixture.