The first time I made this vegan mayo was also the first time I had ever used aquafaba, or ‘bean water’, as an egg substitute. This mayo may be vegan, but it’s also absolutely delicious — in fact my family have come to prefer it over standard mayonnaise. It keeps well and is great to have on hand in the fridge.
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba (the liquid from tinned chickpeas or kidney beans)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar (or a combination)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 300 ml (101⁄2 fl oz) grapeseed oil or light olive oil
Put all the ingredients except the oil in a blender or small food processor. Start the machine and gradually pour in the oil until the mixture is white and thickened. The mayo will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.