Annalien needed a trestle table custom made for some kids, so Peter came up with a plan to do just that. See how they build a trestle table from scratch step by step to show you exactly how to make your own.
You will need
|PCM 7 Compound Mitre||18-20mm ply wood (good quality)|
|PST 18 JigSaw||table top 1220 x 800 mm – 1 piece (use the standard width and cut it to that size – it can also be 1200 or what ever it is)|
|PSR 18 Cordless drill||Table front skirt 100 x 1220 mm – 1 piece (same length as table top)|
|PSM 18 Cordless Sander||Table side skirts and braces 64 x 800 mm – 5 pieces|
|Pex Sander||Pine 20mm (PAR)|
|Trestle legs 70 x 800 mm – 16 pieces|
|POF 1400 router||Rope 10-20mm thick. 1.5 mtrs|
|but hinges +/- 70mm – 4 pieces|
|4 x 30mm screws|
|dark varnish – 2 ltr|
|clear varnish 1 ltr|
|wood filler to match dark varnish|
|wood for the trays. (we can use from the workshop material)|
Round Table Steps
- Cut out 6 identical circles using the router first to get the outline of a circle and then cut out completely with the jigsaw.
- Smooth off the circles after the jigsaw with the router.
- Line up the bottom of the top shelf with the top of the bottom shelf and the middle shelf. Mark out and drill holes for the copper/metal pole to slide through.
- Join 2 circles together for the top middle and bottom shelves using glue and screws.
- Router edges round using a round over bit
- Drill circles out +/- 70 mm (Doughnuts for middle shelf to fasten) using a hole cut saw. Drill out middle hole to fit pole with spade bit
- Fasten doughnuts under top shelf and middle shelf (ready for attaching to poles later).
- Drill small hole in the side of these doughnuts for the pole to be fastened onto.
- Sand and paint shelves
- Cut poles to size depending on height of table you want and measure on each pole where you want the middle shelf to fit.
- Mark out and drill hole for self tapper screws on round wooden doughnuts and fit to middle shelf
- Fit legs to bottom shelf
- Glue copper poles into bottom shelf
- Slide middle shelf into position over the 3 poles.
- Screw tight with self tapping screws through dougnuts.
- Glue and place top shelf onto poles.