Prep time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep: 5 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 green plantains
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating up, cut the green plantains into 1-inch thick slices and then peel them. Fry the slices in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They should be a light golden color and semi-soft.
- Remove the plantain slices with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- When the plantain slices are cool enough to handle (about 1 minute), between paper towels, smash them into flat rounds using the bottom of a glass. Fry the rounds in the hot oil for another 3 minutes. They will turn crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the tostones with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Salt them as soon as they come out of the oil.