Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook: 12 minutes
Total: 27 minutes
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons Spanish olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4-inch) piece chorizo, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 boquerones (Spanish white sardines), whole
- To make a sofrito: In an 8-inch pan set over medium heat add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onion, green pepper, chorizo, garlic, pimenton, salt, and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, add the parsley, and continue cooking 2 minutes longer.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in an 8-inch nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the eggs to the hot pan. Cook the egg mixture by pulling the sides of the cooked egg down and toward the center of the pan with a heat-resistant rubber spatula. Swirl the pan so the uncooked egg finds the surface.
- When the egg is almost done, spread to cover the bottom, and spoon the sofrito mixture from the first pan onto the egg pancake. Cook for 1 minute longer. Loosen the egg from the pan and slide out onto a plate. Top the torta with the boquerones, cut in wedges and serve.