Tomato Ginger Jam
Yield: about 2 cups
- 12 ripe local tomatoes, chopped or 1 28-ounce can of ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup grated fresh ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Put the tomatoes into a pot with the sugar, red wine vinegar, ginger, salt and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until thickened to a jam consistency, about 30 minutes.
- Note: The easiest way to grate ginger is to first freeze it, then grate it with a microplane grater into a powder.
- You may also use the smallest holes on a standard box grater.