This week on Recipe for Success our student chef Thulile Mlongo from Durban prepares Fillet Steak Marinated in Beer for Archie Maclean from Catharinas, Reuben Riffel speaks to Riaan Stassen about his Recipe for Success.
- 1 Fillet Steak
- 3 Pepper corn
- 10 g Rosemary
- 10 g Thyme
- 2 bulbs Garlic
- Stellenbrau Lager
- 2L Cream
- 5kg Potatoes
- 500 ml Vegatable stock
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 tsp tomato purée
- 5 Chillies (Green)
- 1 Onion
- 500g Red Onion
- 2 pinch Sugar
- 20 g Salt and Pepper
- 200 g Parmesan cheese
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Green Pepper
- 2 Red Pepper
- 1/2 cup Lemon juice
- 1 Small bowl
- 4 Dish Clothes
- 1 bunch Spinach
- Smoked Paprika
T bone steak:
– In a big enough container (where one could place the steak and beer totally covers the steak) place the steak; cover it with carling black label beer. Add in rosemary, thyme, pepper corn and garlic. Then cover the container. This needs 24 hours in the marinade.
– Slice the potatoes thinly using the mandolin peeler.
– Take a cup of cream and scald it with garlic and rosemary.
– Let the mixture cool down whilst the garlic and rosemary is properly incorporated in the cream.
– In a wide end deep tray, take each slice of the potato, dunk it in the cream with rosemary and garlic layer each slice on the tray, alternating with sautéed red onion slices.
– Layer other slices on top of that layer a couple of times.
– Place in the oven for 1 hour at 180 ̊C. Note: Compress the layers of potato before placing in the over.
– After an hour open covered potatoes and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and cover, press down and cook for another 15 min.
New Age Chakalaka
– Place a sweet onion in a hot sauce pan.
– Add julienne strips of carrots.
– Add garlic, thyme, rosemary and stir.
– Then add a green pepper, tomato purée and stir.
– Add tomatoes and stir.
– Add two ladles of vegetable stock and let it reduce. – Add chillies and two pinches of sugar.
– Reduce more and season with salt and pepper. - Finish with cream.