Swiss Chard and Chickpea Stew
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- ½ large onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) turmeric
- ½ teaspoon (3ml) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice
- 2 ½ cups (600g) Swiss chard, stems chopped small and leaves in bigger chunks
- 2 cups (480ml) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (720ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- Olive oil, for frying
- Drizzle olive oil into pot and heat. Add onions and tomatoes to pot and cook until onions are starting to soften and potatoes brown. Add garlic.
- Add turmeric, cinnamon, sweet paprika, and caraway seeds and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
- Add lemon juice and grated ginger and stir to combine.
- Add Swiss chard and chickpeas to pot and mix well.
- Pour in vegetable broth. Add water.
- Cook 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and chard is wilted.