Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw
Total Time:12 hr 25 min
Inactive Prep:12 hr
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 1/2 pounds cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Emerils Original Essence or Creole Seasoning, recipe follows
- Emeril’s ESSENCE Creole Seasoning
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool completely.
Assemble all the vegetables, the celery seeds, and the mustard seeds in a large nonreactive mixing bowl, and pour the cooled sugar-vinegar mixture over all. Toss well to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to serve, season the coleslaw with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Essence, to taste. Toss thoroughly to combine.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.