Recipe by Anna Polyviou
- 100 g egg whites (from about 4 eggs)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g icing sugar
Mango and passionfruit jelly
- 50 g gelatine sheets
- 700 ml passionfruit purée
- 150 g caster sugar
- 800 ml mango purée
- 1 litre milk
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 240 g egg yolks (from about 12 eggs)
- 250 g caster sugar
- 95 g corn flour
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 750 g pastry cream
- 375 ml cream
- 1 pineapple
- 2 mangoes
- pulp of 5 passionfruit
- 100 g mango popping pearls (aka boba, bursting tapioca balls used in Asian bubble teas)
- Passionfruit, cut into quarters
- Green pineapple stems, finely sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 140°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk egg whites with caster sugar, to firm-peak stage. Remove the whisk attachment and gradually fold in icing sugar.
- Using a plain nozzle, pipe 100 g of the mixture into meringue kisses on one of the trays. Place the rest of the meringue mix in large spoonfuls onto the other tray (use a salad spoon).
- Bake large meringues for 4 hours and kisses for 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow meringues to cool for 1–2 hours. Do not open the door until the oven has completely cooled.
- Soften gelatine sheets in ice water for a few minutes. In a small saucepan, warm passionfruit purée and caster sugar together, until sugar is dissolved and purée is hot (but not boiled). Remove from the heat, whisk in softened gelatine sheets, add mango purée and strain. Pour into a 20 cm glass trifle bowl and allow to set.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and vanilla seeds to the boil. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar together, and stir corn flour in.
- When milk has boiled, take it off the heat and pour a little into the egg mixture. Whisk and return to the pan. Place back on the heat and whisk until the pastry cream is thick, 5–8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, put into an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until cool. When cooled to 40°C, gradually add in the butter.
- Diplomat cream: whisk the pastry cream until smooth and lump free. Reduce the speed, and add in the cream until the mixture is soft and semi-whisked.
- Tropical compote: peel pineapple and mango and cut flesh into 2 cm cubes. Add passionfruit pulp and mango pearls and mix together.
- To assemble, once jelly is set, break the spooned meringue on top of the jelly. Spoon the diplomat cream over the meringue, then tropical fruit compote on top, followed by meringue kisses, passionfruit quarters and the pineapple stems.