Simple chopped salad with toasted almond vinaigrette
- 8 large leaves romaine or cos lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 small head radicchio, washed and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 yellow peppers, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into long thin strips
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 25g (1 oz) blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped mixed herbs (like tarragon and basil)
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 150ml (¼ pt / ½ cup) olive oil
- 50ml (2 fl oz /¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F / Gas Mark 4).
- First make the vinaigrette. Tip the almonds onto a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 5-7 minutes until lightly golden. Tip them into a food processor and add the shallot, mixed herbs, balsamic vinegar, honey, water and the olive oils. Blend to a rough paste and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss the romaine lettuce, radicchio, cucumber, peppers, carrots and celery together in a large bowl. Just before serving, toss the salad with the vinaigrette.