- 2 sirloin steaks, 2.5cm (1inch) thick
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled, and cut in half
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 demi baguettes
- 2 handfuls of rocket leaves
- Horseradish mayonnaise, or cold leftover Bearnaise sauce
HORSERADISH MAYONNAISE enough for about 6 steak sandwiches
1 x recipe basic mayonnaise, about 300ml (1/2 pint)(see recipe below)
2-3 tbsp Dijon mustard, yes really!
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp chopped parsley
2 tsp chopped tarragon
1 ½ -2 tbsp finely grated fresh horseradish **
- Cut the excess fat off the steaks. Rub both sides of the meat with a cut clove of garlic, sprinkle with roughly ground black peppercorns and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat.
- Cover and let it sit for 10 min (or put in the fridge for longer), meanwhile make your horseradish mayonnaise if it is not already made.
- Heat up a heavy frying pan or grill pan, when smoking hot put the steaks on and cook for about 5 mins on each side, depending on how you like the steak cooked, don’t forget to turn the heat down a little if the steak is blackening too much! Take the steaks off the pan and let it rest for 5 mins in a warm oven, while you fetch your other ingredients.
- Cut the baguettes in half, then split open with a bread knife, slice the steak thinly, and put into the bread with rocket leaves, sea salt, pepper, and lastly a really good lashing of horseradish mayonnaise. Eat immediately!!
**Make your basic mayonnaise, then whisk in the other ingredients, season to taste.
- 6 potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer to about 180c.If you want buffalo chips, then keep the skins on the potatoes, just scrub them very well .Otherwise peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into chips, skinny, fat. .however, just remember they should be consistent in size. Make sure the raw chips are completely dry before they go in the deep fryer, and don’t cook too many at a time.
- Drop them into the fryer and cook until they are just soft, and drain.
- When you are ready to eat the chips, increase the heat to 190c.Put the chips back in and cook until golden and crisp .Sprinkle with salt and serve straight away.
- Cooking them twice like I do here gives you a really good crisp chip! If for any reason you do have to keep the chips warm in an oven for a few min, make sure that you do not cover them, they will go soggy if you do.