Squid, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
This is a wonderful fresh gorgeous salad, perfect for an alfresco lunch or a nice Summer day.
- 450g (1lb) squid, cleaned out and cut into rings or strips 5mm (¼ inch) thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 4 small or 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½ small cucumber, cut into wedges
- 1 generous tablespoon sliced or torn basil
- 1 generous tablespoon finely chopped black olives
- sea salt and black pepper
- 4 handfulls of Rocket leaves
- 50ml (2fl ozs) olive oil
- 25ml (1fl oz) balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed or thinly grated
- salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar
First make the dressing.
- In a jar or small bowl, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Place the tomatoes, cucumber, basil and olives in a bowl and season.
- Place a frying pan on the heat and allow to get very hot. Place the squid in a bowl, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Toss the squid in the hot pan and cook for a minute or 2 until it’s deep golden in colour at the edges. Don’t cook it for too long or it will become rubbery.
- Take it off the pan and toss it in with the cucumber and tomatoes. Drizzle with the dressing and season to taste. Divide the Rocket leaves between 4 plates and top with the salad.