A selection of nuts and seeds, like hazelnuts, skinned almonds, pistachios, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, I would allow 1 handful per person.
For every handful of nuts or seeds, you will need:
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Heat a frying until fairly hot, and put in your chosen nuts and seeds.
- Stirring them with a wooden spoon, cook them until they start to turn golden.
- Add the Chinese five-spice powder, chilli flakes and salt, continuing to toast for another 30 seconds or so until they are all toasted and aromatic.
- Serve either hot or cold.
**NOTE I often do not add oil into the pan before the nuts, but you can if you like, about a tbsp will do.
**NOTE Instead of the five-spice, chilli and salt, you could simply douse the toasted nuts and seeds with soy sauce when they come out of the pan. Also very simple and totally addictive!!!