- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cumin
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) chili flakes
- 19-ounce can (562 ml) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) chicken stock
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When oil is shimmering, add onion, chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin, salt, and chili flakes. Cook until spices are fragrant and onions are translucent. Add beans and chicken stock and stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the beans are soft.
- Use a potato masher or immersion blender to cream to your desired consistency. Serve with Pineapple Pork Tacos (see recipe) .