Spaghetti Squash with Kale Ragout
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 head of garlic for roasting, using 3 cloves only
- Olive oil, for roasting
- Salt and pepper, for roasting and sautéing
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups (480ml) kale leaves, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Reserve seeds and roast with olive oil, salt, and pepper for a healthy snack.
- Brush spaghetti squash halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pierce flesh all over with a fork.
- Put spaghetti squash halves on a baking tray cut side down.
- Cut the end off a head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil and add to baking tray with spaghetti squash.
- Put tray in oven and cook 40 minutes or until squash is tender. Cook garlic until golden and tender.
- When spaghetti squash is cooked, and slightly cooled, run a fork along the flesh to create the strands of ‘spaghetti’. Add strands to a bowl.
- Pour olive oil into a skillet and sauté red onion.
- Add chopped kale and three cloves of roast garlic.
- Pour over chopped tomatoes with juice, and cannellini beans and cook until kale is somewhat tender.
- Add fresh thyme.
- Scoop over spaghetti squash strands.
- Top with chili flakes.