Southern Style Deep-Fried Chicken
Total Time:2 hr 40 min
Prep: 15 min
Inactive: 2 hr
Cook: 25 min
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- 2 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 2 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 3 to 4 cups milk
- 2 1/4 cups solid vegetable shortening, for frying
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium pan, place chicken and cover with milk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight. This helps tenderize the meat, but is optional
- In a large saucepan over a medium-high heat, using tongs, transfer chicken into pot, then pour in the milk. Bring milk to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low allowing to simmer until the chicken is cooked through entirely, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the milk, and place on a rack to cool. Allow them to sit until warm about 15 minutes, and then pat dry using a kitchen towel.
- Heat vegetable shortening in a Dutch oven over high heat just until it’s nearly at the smoking point around 325 degrees F.
- In a large zip-lock bag, add salt, flour, cayenne pepper, shake to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat 1 egg.
- Place each piece of chicken, 1 at a time, in the bag and shake to coat the chicken. Then dip chicken into the egg to coat. Place the chicken back into the flour to coat for a second time. Repeat this method on remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
- Gently drop each piece of chicken into hot oil, allowing the skin to crisp and turn golden brown in color, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Serve immediately.