PREP TIME: 15
COOK TIME: 45
- 6 ounces hot maple flavoured pork sausage (Southern style), crumbled
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits or course polenta
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces grated Gruyere
- 4 farm fresh eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove the sausage to a paper towel to drain.
- Use the rendered sausage fat to grease 4 large individual ramekins, (gratin dishes or individual cast iron pots work too) and arrange them on a rimmed sheet tray.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring the water and half-and-half to a boil and season with salt, to taste.
- Rapidly whisk in the grits.
- Continue whisking while returning to a boil, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thick and creamy, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Season with pepper and more salt, if needed.
- Divide the cooked grits between the prepared baking dishes and top each with cooked sausage and grated cheese.
- Make a divot with the back of a spoon into the cheese and sausage topped grits.
- Crack the eggs, 1 at a time, into a small bowl and top the ramekins with the eggs. Bake until the egg whites are almost, but not fully set, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- For more well-done eggs, bake until the whites are set.