Yield: 4 – 6 servings
- 1 loaf rye bread, sliced thickly, about 400 grams
- 12 ounces smoked salmon, sliced thinly
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch fresh dill, lightly chopped
- 1 cup grated Havarti cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Toast the bread slices until they are golden brown.
- Cut the toast into cubes and place in a large bowl with the smoked salmon, onion and capers.
- Pour milk into another large bowl and whisk in the eggs, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the dill and cheese.
- Pour over the toasted bread cubes and toss well to combine ingredients.
- Rest for five minutes or so allowing the bread to absorb the liquid.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 8” by 8” baking dish and bake in the oven until puffy and golden brown, about 45 minutes.