Skillet BLT Frittata
- 5 thick slices bacon, chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) diced onions
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) diced tomato
Butter leaf salad
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) reserved bacon fat
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) shredded old cheddar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 F (220 C).
- To make the frittata, fry bacon in a medium-sized, heavy frying pan until crispy. Drain frying pan of excess bacon fat. Add diced onions and cook over medium heat until softened. Evenly spread onions and bacon over the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over bacon and onions. Arrange diced tomato evenly over the top of the eggs. Place frying pan in the oven and cook until eggs have set and the edges are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- To make the butter leaf salad, tear butter leaf lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces. Whisk mayonnaise, bacon fat, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Toss torn lettuce leaves and diced tomatoes into bowl with dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Top frittata with butter leaf salad. Season with extra salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded old cheddar.