Chef Anne Burrell shares her secrets to the perfect falafel, light, crispy, and full of flavour. Served simply in pita sandwiches, their flavor soars with a drizzle of homemade Tahini Sauce. Fresh and bright Shrimp, Tomato & Feta Salad rounds out the meal.
Total Time:1 hr
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 30 min
Cook: 10 min
Yield:4 to 6 servings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound (21/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Crushed red pepper
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cut in various shapes
- 1/2 pound feta, crumbled
- 1 pint assorted cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and medium diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Coat a large saute pan with olive oil. Add 2 cloves garlic and a pinch crushed red pepper and bring to a high heat. When the garlic is golden brown and very aromatic, remove it from the pan and discard. Add the shrimp to the pan, sprinkle with salt and saute until the shrimp have turned pink and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. When the shrimp have cooled, cut them in half lengthwise and reserve.
- Toss together the tomatoes, feta, cucumbers and onions. Smash and finely chop the remaining 2 cloves garlic and add it to the veggies. Add the oregano and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Add in the shrimp and toss to combine. Dress the salad with the vinegar and olive oil and season with salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Recipe courtesy Anne Burrell