Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 2 pounds Japanese or Italian eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 green onions, bottoms minced and tops sliced, reserved separately
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dark Asian sesame oil
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large nonstick saute pan. When it is hot, add 1/2 of the eggplant and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the eggplant is nicely browned and softened, stirring as necessary to promote even browning, about 5 minutes. Add half of the green onion bottoms, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, and 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame oil. Toss to combine. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients plus the tofu.
- Combine both batches in the same pan, add the green onion tops, and heat briefly until warmed through, 1 minute. Serve immediately.