Chunky Hake with Salad and Pumpkin Seed Brittle
Savour the Sea with this week’s easy, affordable and time saving recipe for chunky hake with beetroot, butternut and spinach salad with pumpkin seed brittle.
- 1 packet chunky hake fillet portions
- 1 punnet of baby beetroot,washed but leave the skin on
- 1 butternut, sliced, seeded and cut into cubes
- Olive oil
- Vegetable seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bag of baby spinach leaves (or use a mixture of leaves)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pumpkin seeds
- Place the hake portions on a baking tray and bake at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes. On another baking tray place the whole beetroot and butternut cubes. Drizzle over some olive oil and season. Place in the oven alongside the fish to roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Whilst the fish is baking melt the sugar in a large non stick frying pan. Working very carefully as it is really hot swirling the pan to melt all the sugar.
- Once all the sugar has melted allow it to cook till caramel in colour. Add the pumpkin seeds and swirl to coat in the caramel. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or using a Teflon mat carefully pour the mixture over the paper or mat in a thin layer. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. In a serving platter sprinkle over the spinach leaves. Drizzle over olive oil and season. Top with the vegetables. Break the brittle into pieces and sprinkle over the top.