Roast turkey with Vicky’s famous stuffing
- 1 turkey, defrosted, rinsed and patted dry
- 100g butter
- 1 packet fresh chicken livers
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp each cinnamon and ground cloves
- Zest and juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- Small bunch each fresh sage and thyme
- 2 tablespons honey
- 2 cups white breadcrumbs
- ½ cup dried figs, sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup sweet marsala or port wine
- Salt and pepper
Melt the butter in a large pan and fry the onions until glazed and soft.
Add chicken livers and fry for 5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon into chunks.
Add the cinnamon and cloves pine nuts, walnuts, dried figs, honey and port wine.
Add the fresh herbs and the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
Continue to stir over low heat until the liquid has been absorbed by the breadcrumbs but the mixture is still moist.
Set aside to cool.
Use to stuff the cavity of the turkey and place in a deep roasting tray.
Drizzle the turkey (breast side down) generously with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and top with thyme branches before roasting.
Roast at 180°C for 30 minutes per kilo, basting with the pan juices occasionally.