Chuck Hughes’ perfectly roasted beets tossed in with juicy red chard greens is a delicious and easy side dish that anyone can whip up.
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 pound red Swiss chard, chopped into 2 inch pieces (450 g)
- 1 bunch of beets, with greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter (15 ml)
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the beets & greens, leaving the skins on. Remove the greens close to the roots, take off the stems and tear the beet greens in 2 inch pieces. Put aside.
- Drop the beets in salted boiling water and let simmer until tender for 25 minutes. Drain the water and let them cool in cold water. Peel by rubbing them with a rag. Put aside. You can also use a peeler.
- When the beets are done, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, garlic and beets and cook for 5 minutes. Add the red chard and the beet greens and cook for 1 minute until the greens wilt. Add the butter and a little water and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm and serve with Fried skate (click here for the recipe).