Pasta is an easy go-to weeknight meal, and Aida shows us three innovative twists on classic pasta dishes. Sage Butter Macaroni and Four Cheese is a decadent and delicious take on mac and cheese. Pasta With Citrus-Herb Sauce is a light tangle of thin spaghetti and fresh herbs. Then it’s a crowd pleaser — Rigatoni With Creamy Eggplant and Mozzarella.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ease of Preparation: easy
Total Preparation Time: 2 Minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 medium Japanese eggplant, medium dice (about 4 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) container crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup loosely packed thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound rigatoni or penne rigate
- 8 ounces buffalo mozzarella, small dice
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the onion and garlic and cook until just softened. Add eggplant, stir to coat in oil, then let cook, stirring rarely, until softened and golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove half eggplant mixture and reserve.
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package instructions.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add the tomatoes, cream, and half the basil, and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld and sauce is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to the pot off the heat. Pour sauce over top and stir until well coated. Add reserved eggplant, remaining basil, and mozzarella and mix until the cheese starts to soften. Serve immediately.