Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 125g butter, softened
- 250ml castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 300ml flour
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 2ml bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 125ml buttermilk
- 15ml red food colouring
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 80g butter, softened
- 125g thick cream cheese, softened
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 500ml icing sugar, sifted
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy.
- Add eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
- Combine buttermilk and colouring and add to creamed mixture alternately with the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into cup cake papers and bake at 160°C for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Beat butter, cream cheese and essence together.
- Gradually add sifted icing sugar beating well.
- Spread or pipe onto cupcakes.