Red Prawn with Cashews
- 1kg prawns, shelled and de-veined
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 125ml cashew nuts
- 15ml Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste
- 400ml Mae Ploy Coconut Milk
- 4 – 6 lime leaves
- 10ml sugar
- Salt to season
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Heat the sunflower oil in a thick bottomed pan on medium.
- Add the cashew nuts and saute until they are golden brown.
- Remove the cashews from the oil and leave to drain in a strainer.
- Place the cashews on absorbent paper towel.
- Reheat oil on medium and add the red curry paste.
- Fry the paste and gently stir until it is fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and lime leaves.
- Bring the sauce up to the boil and when the coconut milk is fragrant, add the prawns.
- Stir gently taking care not to break up the prawn meat.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Simmer until the prawn changes colour and switch off the heat when the tails begin to curl.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and basil.
- For a hotter curry, add more red curry paste and reduce the salt. The paste has a high salt content.
- Do not use shelled and deveined frozen prawn meat that is already pink in colour. This means the prawn has already been pre cooked and tends to be hard and chewy.
- I always use Mae Ploy Coconut Milk as it does not split or curdle in a curry.