- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 strips streaky bacon, diced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- 450g (1 lb) baby potatoes, finely diced
- 1.2L (2 pts) chicken stock
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 750g bag frozen corn
- 375ml (13 fl oz) double cream
- Crusty bread, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a wide 7.2L- 9.6L (12-16 pt / 6-8 quart) heavy saucepan or casserole pot over a moderate heat. Fry the bacon for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind, drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Next, add the onion, carrots and celery to the pan and cook over a medium heat for about 8-10 minutes until softened. Then, add the potatoes, stock and thyme and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are just tender.
- Finally, add the corn and cream and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes to warm through. Stir in all but a small handful of the reserved bacon and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls, scatter the remaining bacon over the top and serve with crusty bread.