Total Time:1 hr 10 min
Prep: 15 min
Yield:4 to 6 servings
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small bundle fresh thyme
- 1 red pepper, stems, seeds and pith removed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large or 2 small summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 fresh basil leaves, cut into chiffonade
- Coat a large wide pan with olive oil. Add the onions, season with salt and crushed red pepper and bring the pan to a medium heat. Cook the onions until they are soft and very aromatic but have no color, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, thyme bundle and season with salt. Cook the tomatoes until they become very pulpy and have broken apart, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, summer squash and zucchini, season with salt and cook until the squash is soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and taste to make sure the seasoning is correct. Serve warm or at room temperature.