Serves: 4 as an Appetizer
- 8 oz (225 g) Boneless rainbow trout fillet, skinless
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Minced shallot
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Minced, seeded jalapeño
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Minced fresh cilantro
- Orange zest
- Black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Asian sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Olive oil
- ½ Lime (to rub on avocado)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wonton wrappers
- 2 head of Frisée or 1 handful of baby arugula, dressed with a vinaigrette
- 1 Orange, segmented (for garnish)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Ginger, frozen
- Place trout on a plate; freeze until well-chilled but not frozen, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Thinly slice trout lengthwise into 1/8″ wide sheets. Cut each sheet into 1/8 inch-long strips. Cut strips crosswise into 1/8-inch cubes. Place in a medium bowl. Add shallot, jalapeño, cilantro, chives, orange zest, black sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, olive oil, and stir all together.
- Lay plastic wrap over a flat surface. Cut avocado in half, remove in tact from the shell, and rub with a lime to keep it from browning. Slice each half of the avocado as thinly as possible without cutting all the way through. Fan slices out slightly. Spoon the trout tartare into the centre of the avocado. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lift the edges of the plastic wrap up to enclose the avocado, and gently press the avocado around the tartare, shaping it into a ball. Twist the ends of the plastic closed. Place wrapped avocado balls in the refrigerator to chill for20 minutes.
- Place oil in a pot and heat to 350° F
- Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt.
- Add chopped frisée to a bowl and spoon in your favourite vinaigrette. Stir together.
- Remove plastic wrap from chilled, stuffed avocado and plate on a bed of frisée salad. Add orange segments and grated frozen ginger for garnish. Serve with a side of fried wontons.