Serves 4-6 people, depending on the chicken!!
This recipe came about by necessity, when I was trying to figure out how to get the chicken cooked as quickly as possible for my screaming hungry children; and thankfully, it was a success!!
- 1 chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 1 lge or 2 small red onions, cut into 6 or 8 wedges from the top to the root
- 4-10 cloves of garlic, depending on your taste! Peeled
- 2-4 carrots, peeled (or just scrubbed) and cut into 2cm chunks, leave whole if they are baby carrots
- 1 leek again, cut into nice chunks
- 12 small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 80mls olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 250c.
- Put the chicken pieces, red onions, garlic, carrots, leeks and potatoes into a large bowl and pour over the olive oil and season with some sea salt and pepper, toss with your hands, add more olive oil if it is a bit dry, and spread out in a single layer on a baking/ roasting tray and pop into the hot oven for 25 min, or until the chicken is cooked, and the skin is crispy.
**NOTE Feel free to vary the vegetables in this; or just leave them out altogether and serve them separately do want to use old potatoes, just scrub them well, and cut them into quarters.
**NOTE Herbs like sage or rosemary or thyme are good in this too; just add in whole sprigs 5 mins before the end of cooking