Prosciutto and Mozzarella Panini
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes
Total: 18 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices ciabatta or other rustic Italian white bread
- 4-ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 4-ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6-ounces jarred roasted red peppers, drained, and torn into 1-inch wide pieces
- Salad (grape tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and oregano with balsamic vinaigrette), for serving, optional
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl to blend.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a flat work surface, and using a brush, spread the vinaigrette evenly over one side of each slice. Divide the mozzarella equally among the bread slices. Top 4 of the bread slices with the prosciutto and red peppers, and then place the remaining 4 slices of bread on the top, vinaigrette-side down, to form 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook, pressing them occasionally with a large spatula or the bottom of a small heavy saucepan, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately, with a side salad of grape tomatoes, roasted red pepper and oregano with balsamic vinaigrette, if desired.