Prawn Linguine with Tomato Red Wine Sauce
- 24 Jumbo prawns (or shrimp) with shell on
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 6 Cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Red wine, bold
- 1 L (4 cups) Pureed plum tomatoes
- 1 Basil leaf
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml)Canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Cold, cubed, unsalted butter
- 500 g fresh Linguine noodles (125g/person)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Peel and devein prawns and reserve shells. Dice onion and garlic. Place 2 tsp (10 ml) olive oil in a pot over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic until translucent, but do not colour. Add prawn shells and stir. Season as desired. Pour in red wine and allow to reduce by half – about 5-10 minutes.
- Add puréed tomatoes, basil leaf, salt, pepper, and remaining olive oil to the sauce and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a new pot. Continue to simmer lightly over medium-low heat for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Prepare linguine according to package instructions.
- Add prawns to a heated pan with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle in sauce to coat prawns. Add unsalted butter. Add cooked linguine to pan and toss.
- Plate linguine and top with prawns. Garnish with fresh basil. Finish with pepper and olive oil as desired.