Dried porcini (or even shiitake) mushrooms can be ground to a powder and rubbed onto the meat for a delicious, deep flavour.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
- 50 g dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
- 4 thick sirloin or rump steaks olive oil
- Using a spice grinder, food processor or blender, process the mushrooms into a fine powder.
- Season with pepper and dried thyme.
- Rub the mixture onto the steaks and place in a ziplock bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the steaks from the bag and rub with olive oil. Season with salt.
- Braai over a hot fire for 3–5 minutes per side for rare – the best way to eat the steak – or longer if desired. Good with potatoes of any sort and a salad.