With a dash of heat and spice, fresh pineapple can be turned into a delicious dessert served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. See photograph for an alternative serving suggestion.
- gas braai
- kettle braai direct wood or charcoal fire
- 2 pineapples, peeled and halved lengthways
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) grated root ginger
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) soft brown sugar
- 4 vanilla pods
- Combine the pepper and ginger and rub the rounded side of each pineapple with the mixture.
- Place the pineapple halves flat side down on four individual sheets of foil big enough to cover the fruit. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Break each vanilla pod into pieces and stud each pineapple half with the vanilla.
- Without covering the pineapple completely, bring up the sides of the foil to cover each pineapple half. Place on the fire for 15–20 minutes, depending on the heat, until soft and fragrant. Open the package, baste the fruit with the juices in the foil and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or cream.