Pine Nut Pesto Scallops with Apple Celery Slaw
- 24 large sea scallops, muscles removed
- Canola oil for searing
Pine Nut Pesto:
- 2 cups (500 ml) Packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Clove garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) Extra-virgin olive oil
Apple Celery Slaw
- 1 large Granny smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Lemon juice
- 4 Celery sticks, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20ml) Chopped fresh chives
- 1- Tbsp (15ml) Honey
- 100g Goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Olive Oil
- 35g (1/3 cup) Pine nuts, toasted
- Prepare the pesto. Add basil leaves, parmesan, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until it becomes a paste. Scrape pesto into a bowl.
- Prepare apple slaw. Combine apple, lemon juice, celery, chives, honey, goat’s cheese, oil, salt, and toasted pine nuts in a large bowl.
- Season scallops. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, and add canola oil. Sear scallops for 1 minute. Flip scallops when they start to colour. Remove from heat to finish cooking.
- Spoon pesto onto plate and set scallops in pesto. Top with apple slaw.