This recipe is designed for pies that have a wet filling, such as pumpkin, coconut cream, butter tarts and other such pies. You can make a half recipe if you just need a single crust.
- For 1 2-crust pie dough
- 2 ¼ cups cake & pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 6 Tbsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- Stir the flour, sugar and salt to combine in a bowl or using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cut in the butter by hand with a pastry cutter or on low speed until just small pieces of butter are visible and the mixture as a whole just begins to take on a pale yellow colour (indicating that the butter has been worked in sufficiently).
- Stir the water and lemon juice together and add this to the dough all at once, mixing until the dough just comes together. Shape the dough into 2 discs, wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before rolling. Alternatively, the dough can be frozen for up to 3 months and thawed in the fridge before rolling.