Pasta is an easy go-to weeknight meal, and Aida shows us three innovative twists on classic pasta dishes. Sage Butter Macaroni and Four Cheese is a decadent and delicious take on mac and cheese. Pasta With Citrus-Herb Sauce is a light tangle of thin spaghetti and fresh herbs. Then it’s a crowd pleaser — Rigatoni With Creamy Eggplant and Mozzarella.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Ease of Preparation: easy
Total Preparation Time: 3 Minutes
Total Time: 11 minutes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered and very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 (1-pound) box thin spaghetti
- 2 lightly packed teaspoons lemon zest (from 1 medium lemon)
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add onion, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in half of herbs, and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. When pasta is cooked, reserve 1 1/2 cups pasta water, and drain pasta.
- Return pot to stove and add in onion mixture, remaining 1/4 cup oil, remaining herbs, reserved pasta water, and zest, and season well with salt and pepper. Stir until evenly combined. Add pasta and toss until pasta is well coated. Taste and adjust seasoning, as necessary.