Join Nick in this episode as he makes The Ultimate Bread Pudding! Nick also makes a delectable Pasta Matriciana.
- 1 28-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces, or a 6-ounce piece of slab bacon, with the rind removed, cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 pound dry pasta, preferably penne, ziti or rigatoni
- 5 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- Drain and chop the canned tomatoes, saving the drained juices to use later in the making of the sauce. Heat the olive oil and garlic in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat until the garlic starts to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bacon, onions and red pepper flakes. Cook until the bacon begins to brown and the onions soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the red wine and stir up any brown bits that might be clinging to the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil over high heat for 2 minutes and cook until the wine is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and chopped basil; bring to a boil, stirring well. Add the reserved juices from the tomatoes; bring to a boil once again, then simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to the directions on the package. Drain well and return to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes until the sauce is absorbed. Add the cheese, toss well, and serve.