PREP TIME: 10min
COOK TIME: 30min
SERVES: 4 servings plus leftovers
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds parsnips (about 8 small), peeled and chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup half-and-half
Freshly ground black pepper
Finely chopped chives, for garnish, optional
- Put the potatoes and parsnips in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, cover with cold water and salt it generously.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Put the butter and half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot.
- Drain the potatoes and parsnips well and return them to the hot pan.
- Stir the vegetables in the pan to dry them out a bit.
- Add the hot butter mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped chives.