Sturgeon in Pernod Cream
- 2 lbs (900 g) Sturgeon loin, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) cubes
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Canola oil
- 1 Medium-sized shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely diced
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- 100 ml Pernod liqueur
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
Citrus Fennel Salad
- 1 Large fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) chopped fennel fronds or dill
- Pepper to taste
- Place 1 tsp of canola oil into a skillet. Add chopped shallots and garlic to a new pan. Add salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Sauté over medium-low heat until translucent, but do not colour.
- Remove pan from heat and add Pernod.
- Ignite the alcohol in the pan to burn off the fumes of the alcohol.
- Once the flame is extinguished, put the pan back on the heat, and add cream and remaining lemon juice.
- Allow to reduce for 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- Pat the sturgeon meat dry with a clean paper towel.
- Add 2 tsp (10 ml) canola oil to a new pan and place on medium-high heat.
- Season the fish.
- Sear for 2-3 minutes per side until you have a golden crust and fish is cooked through to desired doneness. Move pan off heat.
- Make citrus Fennel salad.
- Place the sliced fennel into a bowl.
- 5 minutes before serving, squeeze juice of one orange onto the fennel.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and fennel fronds. Massage. .
- Segment a grapefruit.
- Plate sturgeon and sauce, and top with fennel salad.
- Add grapefruit segments and serve.