It’s the most asked question on Ask Aida — how to jazz up chicken? Aida’s got some simple and flavourful answers, including Pan Roasted Chicken With Oranges and Rosemary, and Roasted Garam Masala Chicken With Squash and Potatoes. On the side, an incredibly healthy and versatile dish: Cucumber-Bell Pepper Quinoa.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 32 minutes
InActive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ease of Preparation: easy
Total Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks (6 thighs and 6 drumsticks)
- 1/2 medium orange, cut into 6 very thin slices and slices cut into half moons
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F and arrange rack in middle.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of the oil, rosemary, salt, red pepper flakes, and freshly ground black pepper. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat well. Slip 1 piece of orange under skin of each piece.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a cast iron skillet or large frying pan over medium-high heat until butter foams. Working in batches, add 3 or 4 chicken pieces (don’t overcrowd the pan) and brown on both sides until skin is crisp and golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per batch. As chicken is finished, place in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Once all chicken has browned, place in oven to roast until juices run clear when pricked with a knife and meat registers 160 to 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.